THE DEPARTMENT - The City of Pasco’s Engineering Division has reorganized into two divisions. A Capital Improvement Program Engineering Division (Public Works Department) and a Development Review/Long Range Planning Engineering Division (Community and Economic Development). This position is for the Capital Improvement Program Engineering Division under the Public Works Department. This position will report to the Capital Improvement Program Manager.
THE COMMUNITY - The City of Pasco is located at the confluence of the Columbia, Yakima, and Snake Rivers and is, therefore, a gateway to the agriculturally rich Columbia Basin. Pasco enjoys great weather, with nearly 300 days of sunshine throughout the year. This wonderful weather, combined with the area's waterways enables residents and visitors to enjoy many outdoor activities from water sports, golf, and wine touring to outdoor theater and hiking.
The City of Pasco continues to be one of the fastest growing communities in Washington State. Pasco has experienced rapid residential growth in the 21st century, growing from a population of 32,066 in the year 2000 to an estimated population of 75,290 in 2019. Its setting within the Tri-Cities metropolitan area, educational access and the transportation systems are certain to attract further growth over the next 10-20 years. While the metropolitan economy is largely influenced by clean-up of the nearby Hanford Nuclear Reservation, Pasco’s economy is substantially influenced by agriculture (raw production as well as value-added processing) and distribution (railroad, barge, air and highway).
DUTIES - Under the direction of the Capital Improvement Program Manager, implement and manage the planning, funding, design and construction of Capital Improvement Projects and the implementation of Public Works Standards on all projects under the responsibilities of the Public Works Department. Manage assigned projects and comprehensive/facility plans, plan, organize and supervise assigned professional and technical engineering personnel to prepare complex engineering designs, plans, specifications and reports. Responsibilities may be directed towards transportation/traffic, utilities, facilities and/or parks.
REQUIREMENTS - (Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the job.):
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in Civil Engineering or closely related field.
- Seven (7) years of progressively responsible engineering experience (four at the professional level) in water/wastewater utilities, transportation/traffic, or overall engineering design and contract administration.
- Valid Washington State driver’s license.
- Registered Professional Engineer of Washington State (PE) or reciprocity in six months.
- Previous public works and public agency project experience is preferred.
BENEFITS - The City offers a full benefits package with affordable options for full family coverage for medical, dental, vision and life insurance. The City also offers many other perks including:
- 12 days of vacation during the 1st year of employment and 12 days of sick leave
- 10 holidays, plus each employee receives 1 floating holiday each year
- Washington State Department of Retirement Systems (DRS), which offers a guaranteed monthly benefit once vesting criteria has been met
- In addition to DRS, employees may also contribute to a 457 Deferred Compensation Plan, that offers a pre-tax contribution of 1% from the City.
- Other benefits offered: Employee Assistance Program, Tuition Assistance, Flexible Spending Plan, Long-Term Disability, Aflac and flexible Schedule (per department approval)
SALARY: $45.47 - $54.58/hr, plus benefits
APPLY BY: Open Until Filled (First review 8/8/21)
APPLY AT: https://wa-pasco.civicplushrms.com/CareerPortal/JobDetail.aspx?RequisitionId=74992&SourceId=6213
CONTACT: Please contact HR at (509) 545-3408, with questions regarding employment opportunities with the City of Pasco.
No fax/email or incomplete applications accepted. Equal Opportunity Employer.