The geotechnical engineer coordinates and supervises geotechnical investigations statewide; provides geotechnical engineering expertise, support and design methodology; provides recommendations for correcting geotechnical problems; and supervises and performs geotechnical research. Responsibilities are performed under general supervision.
A day in the life:
- Provides geotechnical engineering expertise, support, and design methodology to department personnel and external consultants. Develops policies, design criteria, specifications and special provisions relating to geotechnical matters.
- Schedules subsurface and special foundation investigations, including coordinating department personnel and consultants. Serves as a contact between the Central Office, Districts and Consultants.
- Oversees the geotechnical engineering portion of consultant-designed projects for accuracy, completeness and best design practices; prepares on-call geotechnical contracts, approves on-call consultants, reviews invoices and recommends payment.
- Coordinates implementation of design recommendations with department personnel and consultants. Manages and conducts geotechnical research and studies.
- Directs geotechnical investigations for compressible foundations, slides and other geotechnical problems or issues, including directing subsurface exploration, laboratory testing, engineering analyses, and summary report preparation. Trains department staff on geotechnical matters.
What you'll need for success:
- Bachelor's Degree in Geological Engineering or Civil Engineering with an emphasis in Geotechnical Engineering from an ABET-accredited college or university curriculum.
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer in the State of Missouri.
- Six years of experience in highway or transportation engineering.
Special working conditions and job characteristics:
- Job requires regular, statewide, overnight travel.
- Job requires exposure to moderately adverse and undesirable environmental conditions.
Why you'll love MoDOT:
- You'll play a key role in maintaining the seventh largest highway system in the United States.
- You'll receive training opportunities and a chance to further your career.
- You'll be able to take advantage of many benefits for you and your family while providing service to others in a culturally diverse workplace. Visit our BENEFITS page to explore all we have to offer.
At MoDOT, we value team players who are open-minded and work well with others to accomplish goals and fulfill our mission of safety, service, and stability. We see the growth of our team members as an investment, both in MoDOT's future and yours. If you're looking for diverse opportunities, challenging work, and a family-friendly environment, we want to talk to you about joining our winning team.
Are you interested?
MoDOT operates on shared values and your success in our organization depends upon modeling these values. CLICK HERE to view our mission, values, and tangible results. If you embrace these values, we welcome your application.
For questions about this position, or to check the status of your application, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application and ALL requested documents must be received by the closing date on this job posting.
The State of Missouri is an equal opportunity employer.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.