Director of Construction
Make History, as a member of the Architect of the Capitol Team, serving in the role of Director of Construction. The Construction Division performs construction, renovation and artisan projects for jurisdictions serving Congressional and Supreme Court clients. The Director of Construction is a senior leader who provides professional engineering policy formulation, strategic planning, program oversight, administration, safety and operational management.
This position reports to the Chief Engineer. The Director of Construction:
- Provides leadership, guidance, direction and management of an operational organization composed of craft laborers, construction managers, inspectors, logistical and administrative staff supporting the entire agency with in-house project delivery capability.
- Plans, directs, executes and controls a variety of projects from internal facility renovations to multi-million dollar construction, renovation and remediation projects. Manages approximately 180 permanent and temporary trades and union, contracting and warehouse staff. Serves as the Safety Liaison for the Office of the Chief Engineer.
- Manages contract resources for construction, preventive maintenance and repair of AOC buildings within guidelines; and ensures overall compliance with project schedules, budget and qualitative goals while providing maximum protection to the Congress, workers and environment.
- Maintains professional, relevant knowledge of architecture, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, structural engineering and industrial engineering to approve designs and scheduling.
- Exercises project control and authority throughout the various phases of renovation projects including integrating efforts involving multiple parties; develops justifications as the technical certifying official; ensures funding is consistent with project objectives; and analyzes problems encountered with project resources, schedules and deadlines to expedite appropriate corrective action.
- Evaluates programs and operations; recommends actions to initiate, modify or discontinue projects as needed; and develops and implements operations plan updates.
- Ensures compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations and trade safety requirements, material management, environment, sustainability and resource management; and executes activities in accordance with federal laws and regulations.
- Filing of a Financial Disclosure Report.
- Successful completion of a background investigation commensurate with the risk and sensitivity level of the position.
- Successful completion of pre-employment and applicable random drug testing required.
- Meets qualifications requirements by the closing date of this announcement.