Engineering Specialist I
The Engineering Specialist in Public Works performs technical engineering calculations, drafting, plan review, field investigations and inspections, and basic design work for the planning, design, construction and maintenance of public works and utilities projects in traffic systems, subdivision maps and plans, street and park design, improvement districts, construction, water and sewer system design, construction and maintenance, and drainage planning; performs related duties as required.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be self-motivated and capable of working both independently and in a team environment on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Be well-organized and detail-oriented in relation to file management and construction drawings.
- Have strong people skills and have the ability to effectively communicate with the public, developers, design engineers and City staff.
- Have the ability to recognize conflicts or problems and be solution-oriented.
- Have knowledge and experience in reviewing construction drawings.
- Have strong knowledge of current construction practices and industry standards.
- Be proficient with technical writing.
- Understand the complex nature of local government operations and the Public Works Department's role within the City.
- Have experience utilizing MS Office applications, including Word and Excel.
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
Education: Associates of Arts or Associates of Science degree from an accredited institution of higher learning in Civil Engineering Technology, Drafting Technology, or other related field.
Experience: Four (4) years of progressively responsible technical civil engineering experience.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE
A valid California Class C Driver's License and a satisfactory driving record as a condition of initial and continued employment.
This classification requires the ability to travel independently within and outside of City limits.