1. Leads a team accountable for construction oversight of capital projects across the State of New Jersey.
2. Ensures that NJ TRANSIT construction job sites are safe and meet or exceed industry construction site safety best practices.
3. Provides the technical and contractual expertise in the administration of capital construction contracts, and may serve as an expert witness in the course of related litigation.
4. Develops, monitors and updates a project control system which provides relevant and timely status reports of construction budgets, expenditures and schedules to executive-level staff that provides the framework for reports to the funding agencies.
5. Develops, monitors and updates a construction management program that assures construction projects are performed in accordance with the NJ TRANSIT policies.
6. Reviews, recommends and initiates budgets, estimates, plans and specifications for capital construction projects, and monitors same through a document control system in order to protect the safety of the riding public and the corporation's rights during litigation and/or audit.
7. Leads collaboration with other units, including Capital Project Management and Capital Compliance, Budget, and Administration, to ensure projects are timely completed in a manner that meets federal and state requirements.
8. Ensures best practice and other recommendations/findings by consultants or third-party reviewers are implemented across capital projects.
9. Assures project conformance with affirmative action requirements, building code specifications, permit acquisition, insurance requirements, contractual procedures, invoice payments, construction claim mitigation and environmental issues.
10. Establishes and maintains liaison between NJ TRANSIT and outside agencies, both federal and state, local municipalities, public concerns, utilities, other railroads and any other group that interfaces with NJ TRANSIT on issues dealing with construction, development and maintenance.
11. Directs the development and implementation of capital constructions projects, new construction and rehabilitation and improvement projects in the NJ TRANSIT Capital Program.
12. Works with Procurement to enhance policies and procedures to more effectively process contracts and claims. Provides support in negotiations and claims settlement.
13. Provides constructability support for project design teams. Provides support for Labor Relations regarding union construction of in-house force account work.
14. Works with NJ TRANSIT Rail Operations to schedule construction activity along rail lines.
15. Provides guidance to the NJTRANSIT Executive Management Team on issues relating to construction and contract issues.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related area from a US Department of Education accredited college or university, and ten years of applied progressively responsible experience in the application of engineering management principles to the transportation or utility fields field, field construction and construction management.
Knowledge of construction contracting, contract law, Critical Path Method (CPM) scheduling, budgeting and project control systems is required.
Professional Engineering License in New Jersey desired.
One year of closely related experience can be substituted for each year of education required.
**WHEN APPLYING PLEASE SELECT WTS AS YOUR SOURCE OF HOW YOU HEARD ABOUT THIS POSITION**
At NJ Transit you will enjoy a competitive salary and excellent benefit package:
· Comprehensive Family Health Insurance – Prescription, Dental, Vision
· Flexible Spending Account
· Life Insurance
· Paid Leave
· 401(a), 401(k) Retirement Plans - up to 9% match
· Tuition Assistance
· Qualified Transportation Expense Plan (QTE)
At NJ TRANSIT we support and depend upon the diversity of our staff. NJ TRANSIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Internal Number: D762
About NJ Transit
General InformationNJ TRANSIT is New Jersey's public transportation corporation. Its mission is to provide safe, reliable, convenient and cost-effective transit service with a skilled team of employees, dedicated to our customers' needs and committed to excellence.Covering a service area of 5,325 square miles, NJ TRANSIT is the nation's third largest provider of bus, rail and light rail transit, linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia. The agency operates a fleet of 2,027 buses, 711 trains and 45 light rail vehicles. On 236 bus routes and 11 rail lines statewide, NJ TRANSIT provides nearly 223 million passenger trips each year.NJ TRANSIT also administers several publicly funded transit programs for people with disabilities, senior citizens and people living in the state's rural areas who have no other means of transportation. In addition, the agency provides support and equipment to privately-owned contract bus carriers. As the vehicle that connects New Jerseyans with employment, education, health care and recreational opportunities in and around the Garden State, NJ TRANSIT is vital to the state's economic and social well-being, as well as its quality of life....Mission StatementTo provide safe, reliable, convenient and cost-effective transit service with a skilled team of employees, dedicated to our customers' needs and committed to excellence.